Thursday, April 3, 2014

From the mouths of babes..a learning curve


I used to be really into all of the "extreme makeover" shows.  The weight loss, the homes, the general makeovers...but after a while they all lost their luster.  It's all just too good to be true for some people and I don't live in that world.  But yesterday as my mini was playing a game on the computer and I sat channel surfing I was at a loss for anything to enjoy so I decided to see what on in our on demand line up from TV shows I may have missed.  I found one episode of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss edition, and thought...why not?

The episode I watched was about a young woman named Ashley.  She was someone who dealt with feelings of guilt and loss by turning to food.  At 26 years old and 5'2" tall (the same height as me), she found herself at 325 pounds.  I can't even begin to imagine going through what she did.  The near loss of a sibling, then the loss of a child.  It's terrible.  Especially because she blamed herself for the loss of her daughter.

I tried very hard when my older daughter was little to train myself to not say things like "I'm fat" or "Do I look fat" because I didn't want that idea in her head.  I tried hard to make sure when my hubby and I were trying different diets that we referred to it as trying different eating choices.  Now that she is almost 13, she in inundated with all of it.  She has been for quite some time actually as we can't protect our kids from everything they see and hear in the media, but I tried to keep home as safe as I could in the world of self image.

So with this mindset already built up pretty well, imagine my surprise when my mini turns around to see what Momma is watching and asks me "Why is she so fat?"  WHAT?!?!?!  I was in shock!!!  I took a minute to regain my composure and knew that this was a pivotal moment for her, so I decided to try and make it a teaching opportunity.  Everyone is made differently and sometimes we forget to make time to take care of ourselves and make sure we get all the good, healthy food we need or to exercise and get our hearts happy and healthy.  I explained why saying that was not the nicest way to express the idea that someone may be bigger then someone else, and how would she like it if someone said something not nice about her. 

It was a nice way to segue way too into our need to go to the grocery store and get lots of good healthy foods that would help fuel our bodies so they will grow strong and make us able to run and play and do our workouts.  So we made a grocery list.  I pulled up a pin from one of my boards and we looked at fruits and veggies that are in season in spring and I had her choose some that she thought we should get at the store.  She was so happy to help pick out what we were getting she even asked to write some of the list and put her choices down. 

my mini's written grocery list


Victory!  We took what started a s a negative comment about someone else and turned it into a learning activity that resulted in a fabulous dinner.  Roasted chicken breast, roasted brussel sprouts (for mom and dad...celery, carrots and dip for the kiddos), and cous cous.  Each little victory makes me feel like we have the kids on the right path.  Especially with my mini...at 4, sorry 4 and a half (she reminds me constantly that I forget the and a half) she is becoming very aware of what her body needs and how to make it the very best it can be, which will make her the very best SHE can be!




Post a Comment