Thursday, February 27, 2014

BMEye...a new point of view


I am the mother of an (almost) teen.  There.  I admit it.  It's true.  It terrifies me, makes me happy, makes me crazy.  My dear big girl is 12, 12 and a half next week.  She is beautiful, smart, funny, quirky and perfect.  She is my oldest and the first to fill my heart in the way that only a child can.  She encourages me, loves me, and is my friend.

My 12 year old has always been quiet but confident.  She is the type that comes across as shy and reserved until she gets to know you, then look out.  Its open season on crazy. :)  She has one of the most tender hearts I have ever witnessed (much like her uncle-my lil bro), and she keeps her feelings bottled up most of the time.  This is getting to be more and more as she inches ever closer to the actual, official teen years.  We spend many days yelling through her (slammed) closed door while she blocks us out with ear buds and iPods, but at the end of the day (literally) she snuggles on the couch with me, resting her head on my shoulder, and for that short window of time, she is my little girl again.

She has seen me struggle with my own body issues.  I never wanted to be the mom that said "I'm fat" in front of my kids, but I admit it has happened.  She is always quick to negate my sentiments though and reassure me that the image I (think) I see in the mirror is not reality.  We all have a slightly distorted reflection I think, society has made us that way.  But this week it came full circle on me.

I have never been a fan of the BMI scale, I have made that clear I think.  But now I can hate it for a whole new reason.  My oldest is an amazing soccer player.  She plays on both club and premier level teams.  She is also an equestrian.  To see her in the saddle is amazing.  She is unbelievably strong and incredibly fit.  She runs with soccer 2-3 days a week and the amount of strength riding takes is shocking.  I mean, you have to control a horse with your body. 

Last week my big girl had a friend over and they played the Wii.  When they did the fit test, that rotten son of a biscuit machine told her that her BMI was in the overweight range.  Now, is there anything wrong with being overweight or addressing the fact if you are?  NO!  But when you aren't, and you are being told you are (especially at an impressionable age) because your boxes on the big chart don't fall where some random person thinks they should, I have to say it's just plan wrong.  I knew it bothered her because I wasn't actually in the room when they did it, she mentioned it later in passing.  Her teen-angst way of making me aware that she was upset (I am getting good already at reading her signals).

So this week we had her well child visit at the pediatrician, and I asked her if she wanted to talk to the doc about the Wii.  The doc jumped right in with, "Did that stupid thing say you were overweight?"  The shocked look on my daughters face let me know that she wasn't expecting that kind of response from the doc.  Our wonderful doc explained again (as she did during the mini's visit) how against it she is.  How muscle is heavier and that she wouldn't be able to do the things she does if she was on the lower end of the spectrum.  Can I just say I LOVE our doc!

So as I move forward with my own fitness and health self-discovery I am seeing how what I project along with the world is effecting my girls.  Bye bye BMI!

Post a Comment