Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fat Wallet, Small Pocket!

 
 
You may remember a little post I did last year when I felt like the world was trying to give me a wake up call, Oh Universe, you're talking to me?  Ok to be fair, I have mentioned the universe a lot (we have a love hate relationship)  but I think this weeks nudge was the best yet.  Well, maybe not so much of a nudge but a jump up and down waving its arms around shouting at me to stop and listen! 
 
It's also a bit of a psychic moment as I was just having this discussion with friends last week about this VERY topic...and in the wake of all the health care reform issues it is exciting because it my own health care reform if you will.  NO WORRIES...this is not going to be political.  This is personal! 
 
Sitting at work yesterday working diligently (as I always do) I got the email with the daily news (aptly called The Daily).  The headline yesterday was this: improve health and qualify for financial incentives!  WHAT!?!?!  You're going to...wait, hold the phone!  I have been waiting for something like this to come out for so long.  So many of my friends have incentivized health care that rewards those that try to stay healthy...finally, I am among the lucky ones!
 
As a younger person (you won't here me say that a lot) that is trying to make the most out of my health this is great!  I can earn a nice discount on what I pay for my health care insurance if I do the following three things:
  1. Complete a free and confidential Health Care Appraisal
  2. Participate in a Biometric Health Screening
  3. Fill out a Tobacco Attestation Form
WHAT!  That's all?!?!  Crazy I know!  On top of that, I have the option to attend wellness programs in the areas of tobacco cessation, stress management, weight management, nutrition and physical activity...I can earn, wait for it...up to $200 in cold, hard cash! 
 
This is great!  This is a great motivation on those mornings when you kind of drag your butt out of bed and catch yourself weighing whether or not you think you can actually get your butt moving...money is the great motivator!  My hope honestly is that maybe down the road they make this option open for dependents too that you supply coverage for.  I mean, I see so many kids that NEED that push.  Childhood obesity is SUCH a huge issue today that maybe offering incentive for the kids will make parents more likely to get their kids up and moving too! 
Post a Comment