Monday, April 8, 2013

Thankful

I feel like I have a lot to say this Monday, but I am actually going to scale it back a bit and let Melanie from The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog say most of it today.  I had a nice message from Melanie a few weeks ago about the importance of exercise and cancer.  This hits close to home for me as I have been affected by cancer on both sides of my family.  I lost an aunt to lung cancer, a grandmother to colon cancer, and uncle to Hodgkin's Lymphoma and have had an aunt and cousin both beat non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  When reading through what Melanie had to say, I must admit I thought about my cousin Eric a lot.  When he found a lump under his arm, he knew what the diagnosis was going to be...his mom had been through it.  So when it was time to see the oncologist his sister (another cousin-Deanna who happens to be a nurse), met him and his wife at the appointment.  She came with a bright yellow binder full of research she had done, treatments, etc. and it was organized already for him.  He called it his happy cancer file.  It was a joke, but it worked.  Eric remained positive ands active throughout his treatment, and today is cancer free. 

Here is what Melanie has to share:

Limitations That May Affect Your Cancer Exercise Regimen

Exercise is an important part of any cancer recovery program. There are some precautions that people with certain conditions must take while exercising. Common groups that deserve special attention include patients with anemia and patients who were sedentary prior to cancer. Here are a few exercise tips for people who are in special groups:

Exercise Tips for People Who Were Previously Sedentary
People who were sedentary before their diagnosis may have complications when they begin an exercise program. These people should begin their exercise program slowly and gradually increase the time they exercise. Walking is a great way to begin treatment. Start out light and increase the amount weekly, as you feel more energetic. When exercising, cancer patients should pay attention to signs of overexertion.

Exercise Tips for People With Anemia

Exercise can be helpful for cancer patients with anemia but only in moderation. More than likely, cancer patients who exercise every day with anemia will have syncope or fainting episodes. Red blood cells are not produced at optimal levels in anemic patients. This can decrease the amount of oxygen circulating in the body, which may result in the syncope or fainting episodes. People with anemia should be aware of how their bodies feel and should cease exercise if they show signs of over-exertion.

Anemia can inhibit the exercise program of people with cancer. Cancer patients who follow a strict vegetarian diet with vegetables, fruits, and vegetable-based proteins, such as beans, may help to keep their cancer from spreading, but some people do not feel energetic if they are not getting enough iron.

Remember to have enough iron in your system from a source that is easily absorbed into the blood stream. Some fruits and vegetables have high levels of iron but do not allow iron to absorb into the system. This can also affect exercise. People with irritable bowel syndrome who eat foods that they should not eat may prevent absorption of iron into their systems. Speak with your physician about potential problems that may affect your fitness programs.

People With Limitations Can Still Exercise
People with physical limitations such as those with mesothelioma, can still exercise and reap the benefits of exercise. Studies have shown that people who exercise before and after surgery will improve their prognosis and recovery. Many patients feel better and more energized after exercising. Fatigue in cancer patients may cause sleep disturbances and emotional distress. When cancer patients exercise, they often can reduce the medications prescribed and the fatigue experienced. Talk to your doctor and start exercising today!


If you have any questions, comments, etc on this post...you can reach Melanie through her blog.

And since no Monday would be the same without it...here's my Friend Making Monday!




taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: http://www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

TV, Movies and Me

1. If you could be a recurring star on a show that is currently on TV, which show would you choose?  Maybe Bones or Criminal Minds.  I haven’t’ watched a new episode of CM in a while because it got a little too scary for a bit there, but I love that they make you think.  Or Pretty Little Liars just because it is my guilty pleasure.

2. Name the movie that you are most embarrassed to admit that you love.  Not really embarrassed by any.  Steel Magnolias is one that I reflexively recite…and I always watch An Affair to Remember when I can. 

3. Name one show that you've never seen and would love to watch.  Going with Kenlie;’s response I will chose an actually Broadway show and say I would LOVE to see Wicked. 

4. Do you ever go to movies alone?  I have only done it once, and that was to see The Sweetest Thing.  I was just bored and there was no one around to go with me.  I would do it again though.

5. If you could only watch one TV show for the next year, which show would you choose and why?  Friends.  I love it.  It has a special place in my heart from high school, and let’s be honest.  I watch it every night on Nick at Nite.  J

6. If you could star in one reality show, which one would it be and why?  Other than cooking shows, I’m not really a reality TV fan, so I think I’d pass.

7. If someone rented a billboard for you, what would it say?  Supermom!

8. Who is the most famous person with whom you have been in the same room?  This is tricky as I have worked with some cool/famous people in my former career in theatre/concert management.  Brian Wilson was SUPER cool, and I walked to lunch with Rue McClanahan once. 

9. If you were chosen to be a contestant on a TV game show, which show would you want to be on?  Jeopardy, I love it.

10. If there was a movie being made about you, which actor would you choose to play you? Hmmm, maybe Sandra Bullock.  I love her.
Now it's your turn to answer this week's questions!  Don't forget to come back and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday, lovely humans!

 
Post a Comment