Thursday, January 31, 2013

Take the idea and RUN with it




I love running.  I have said it before, I'm sure I will say it again...in fact I will right now, I love running.  I have talked about it in previous blogs, there is just something about running.  For me, its time to think and process and just be alone with my thoughts.  I had a great run this morning at the gym.  It was unplanned and quite honestly, just what I needed to start my day.  My workout buddy decided to skip (again) today, so I didn't feel obligated to attend a class.  It was me and my audiobook and we just set to it.



Now, I have also mentioned before how much I want to run a 5K.  It has been a goal of mine for a long time.    I had conditioned myself last year and was ready to go when my foot surgery came up. In the grand scheme of running, a 5K seems so small.  In all honesty, I have been toying with the idea of trying to train for a (at least) half marathon.  I want one of those cool stickers for my car.  You know the ones I'm talking about, the 13.1.
How awesome would it feel to accomplish that?!?!  I read a blog a few days ago, Girl Evolving, and the way Kim over there talks about running...I know exactly how she feels.  I think reading that is what pushed me back to the treadmill this morning.  I have just had such a NEED to run since then. 

However, after running this morning, I was reminded of something very important.  Proper footwear.  I have asked before about shoe recommendations, and have since stumbled upon some great articles about shopping for shoes as well as  an article laying out The Best Running Shoe for your Style (oh yeah, thanks Shape.com for both of these amazing articles).  These are the sad but proud shoes I have been working out/running in for a while now:


Don't get me wrong, they were great shoes when I got them, but they have seen MORE than their 500 recommended miles.  Why haven't they been replaced yet?  Excellent question.  Part of it is that the next pair of shoes I get, I want to make sure they are the right shoe for me.  Which I'm hoping by following the tips offered by Shape will help me in that department.  The other, much bigger issue, is cost.  Good running shoes are not cheap.  My problem is as a parent I have a guilt chip that they secretly (unbeknownst to me) must have inserted in my head sometime while I was at the hospital after giving birth.  How else can I describe the overwhelming feeling that takes over when I even begin to LOOK at higher end stuff for myself when both girls are growing like weeds.  I don't remember there being any mention of this "guilt chip" by my OB/GYN but I have a sneaking suspicion this is all true.  :)

Anywho, this is my big obstacle.  I know that I deserve nice things, but it's hard sometimes.  So this made me think...some of you fabulous readers are "testers" for companies, or know another blogger who is.  I want to be courted by shoe companies to test and review their shoes.  Great idea right!!  Someone needs to help test things out and give feedback, I think that person should be me!

So...attention Reebok, Nike, Asics, Sketchers, Altra, K Swiss and any other running shoe manufacturer out there that I may be missing.  I look forward to hearing from you very soon.  I am a size 6 and do mostly treadmill running, with some outdoor trail running in the warmer weather.  You can reach me (as can any of you) at waitsandmeasurements@gmail.com.

Talk soon!!

Post a Comment