Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wordless

I sat down to write on Friday, I was actually planning on bring Feel Good Friday back since it has been absent the past few weeks...then I heard the news.  There is nothing that can explain  it, nothing that can make it all make sense, nothing that can prepare you.  I have never been happier that my youngest had been a crab apple for her Dad in the morning so they skipped school and he took her with him to work.  I wanted nothing more than to jump in my car and get my oldest out of school and wrap my arms around my whole family and thank God that they were all safe.  How can something like this happen?  Twenty innocent, beautiful babies gone too soon.  Twenty six people taken away before their time.  I can't understand the world we live in today.

It took me right back to Columbine.  I was sitting in my dorm room, my last semester of college when I heard the news about Columbine.  My little brother was a high school student then.  I grabbed the phone and called my parents to make sure he was ok.  We live in Ohio.  It wasn't our town, or our school...but is was still our world.  I needed reassurance that he was fine.  I was in shock. 

I used to wonder what kind of things would my generation remember.  My parents both can talk specifically of where they were when Kennedy was assassinated.  That seemed SO monumental to me as a child.  They lived through both Kennedy's, MLK, Lennon, Vietnam.  Some how now those all seem to pale in comparison.  Wasn't it the movie Prelude to a Kiss where Meg Ryan's character refers to how terrible the world is and that she doesn't feel it's fair to bring a child into it.  I used to actually think that way.  When I was young and single.  Being a mom is the greatest joy I have ever experienced though, and despite our world today, I wouldn't trade it.  But we need to be better.  We need to come together as a country, as a world and find a way to make peace and make a legacy for our children and our children's children that is worthy of them and their greatness.  These tragedies are senseless and need to end.

What do I remember?  I remember sitting on the cafeteria floor watching the space shuttle Challenger explode.  I remember Mount St. Helens erupting.  I remember the chain of F5 tornadoes that left a path of destruction through my town in 1985.  I remember sitting alone in my dorm room when I heard about Columbine.  I remember my boss breaking down in tears and leaving to get her kids from daycare after Oklahoma City.  I remember feeling trapped on the corner of 42nd Street in NYC as the towers fell.  I remember the sadness in my heart when I heard the news of a man walking into an Amish schoolhouse and opening fire.  I remember the tears that instantly streamed down my face as I heard about 20 sweet children who were taken to Heaven too soon.

At 35, I already remember enough.  I am ready for happy memories.  I am ready for peace and love and understanding to spread like wild fire across the news.

Sorry for being such a Debbie Downer.  Maybe this will help.  My better-late-then-never Friend Making Monday post.




Now…If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Twelve in 2012

 

1.  What was your greatest personal accomplishment in 2012?  Overcoming my fear in the kitchen.  I no longer dread the nights where my hubby has to work late leaving me to cook.  I actually look forward to it.

2. What’s the best thing you did for your health?  I have really taken ownership of my workout routine (or at times lack thereof).  No blaming others or schedules…if I don’t make the time for me, I can only blame myself.

3. Share one thing that caused a significant change in your life this year.  Having had foot surgery in May.  There are still things I can’t do because of a lack of mobility/flexibility so I am constantly modifying things.

4. List a few things that you experienced for the first time at some point over the last twelve months.  

- Feeling (truly) like a grown up.

-An appreciation for what I have.

5. What was the coolest place you visited? We took the girls to Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  It was amazing!

6. If you could change one thing about the last year what would it be?  My spending habits. 

7. What is the best meal you ate this year? Not sure, I am very proud of all my creations.

8. Tell us about a new friend you made.  I have made new connections through my blog as well as more solid relationships with a few other families from my oldests soccer team.  It’s nice to have a solid base.

9. What did you hope to accomplish this year that you did not?  I have seen a slioght drop on the scale, but not as much as I had hoped for.

10. Share something you learned in 2012.  Things don’t have t be perfect…they need to be memorable and cherished.

11. Share an odd and unexpected thing that you experienced this year.  My sweet girl, my oldest became a young lady this year at 10.  That was totally unexpected at this early age.  But she is handling it with such grace and wasn’t nervous as we had discussed this topic before sp she would be ready when it came…just didn’t think it would be that early.

 12. How do you think 2013 will differ from 2012?  I think my whole family has started to take a new viewpoint on health and exercise.  My girls see the importance their dad and I put on it and have taken a more active role.  I think this can only bring good things for the New Year and beyond.
Post a Comment