Friday, October 26, 2012

Feel Good Friday: Growing Up




     TGIF!  What a week this has been!  I have gotten in three very challenging workouts, despite having a terrible muscle strain across my right shoulder blade.  I took a Barre Fitness class yesterday and before the class the instructor noticed me trying to stretch it out...so she gave me some great stretches to do and recommended I try a foam roller. 


I think this may be a purchase I need to make.  They come in various sizes and she swears by them.  This is not the first time I have heard of the powers of the foam roller either...ok universe I get it!  She also recommended for feet to try a softball.  I do have a tendency to get foot cramps when I do workouts that require a lot of jumping...however, generally if I take off my shoes the cramping goes away.  Maybe a little softball therapy will help.

Anyways, this week's Feel Good Friday for me is all about Growing Up.  I love my kiddos more than anything.  I'm not sure if I have ever shared this with you or not but my 11 year is my step-daughter.  I never think of her as that though because I have been with her since she was a tiny baby...actually before since I knew my husband for a long time before we were ever a couple, so to me she is mine.  She and I have always had a special connection and it's been hard as she has gotten older.  Now that she is in junior high she is starting to rebel some.  My hubby assures me that it is because of the relationship that we have had over the years.  That from his experience (as a child of divorce), you rebel against the person you feel safest with, the one you know will love you no matter what...and though it is hard for me to deal with right now...it is actually a good thing that she is doing this with me.

I remember when she was little knowing in my heart that one day we would give her a little sister, so I kept LOTS of her stuff from her tiny days.  Granted, when I did get pregnant with my youngest there was also lots of NEW stuff to buy.  I mean, it was my first time being preggers and there had been an almost 8 year gap between.  Once baby came, my mind went to the next one.  As baby outgrew things so rapidly it was like it was all happening so fast...I wanted to know that we were going to do it all again...I didn't want it to be over yet.

Fast forward 3 years to the here and now.  Would I like one more little one?  Maybe.  There are lots of days though when we are together as a family and I feel it in my heart, our little group of 4 is as it should be.  It's like we just needed that 1 more to make it all perfect.  As parents we are now on an equal playing field for running "defense" haha.  What has been hard for me though is as I get out more stuff that was my oldest's for the little one to use...it makes me all sentimental.  What if we change our minds...maybe I should keep all this stuff.  Then I look at how much we had, how much more we have accumulated and I feel like "Holy crap, the casting crew from Hoarders should be pulling in the drive any minute now!"

I have finally come to grips with the fact that my girls are growing up, whether I want them too or not.  I am so blessed that they are both happy, healthy, thriving kiddos.  I don't want to miss out on enjoying every minute because I am "waiting" for the next one.  It come back to overcoming the WAIT. 

My Feel Good Friday is not about their growing up so much as my own.  I have started to pull out the baby gear I know we have used and loved and am slowly saying good bye to it so other babies can enjoy it.  I am embracing the future with my kiddos and am starting to really look forward to it.  If we decide in another year or two that we do want one more...we can replace all the stuff.  It's just stuff...we can't replace the time that we have right now though!  All the important stuff is (and has been) tucked away in my cedar chest for my own sentimental keepsakes.  The rest can make others happy (and make a little extra fun  money) so we are moving forward and growing up together!


 
What are you feeling good about this Friday?
 
Take a minute and answer on your own blog, then link it up here in the comments.

Post a Comment