Friday, October 19, 2012

Feel Good Friday-Get your Strong On

I owe you all an apology.  I have been AWOL the past week and a half.  Things have been crazy at work and then when I get home I am so tired, but also trying to stay away from the computer.  I sit at a computer all day, so I have been trying to avoid using the home pc at all and just focusing on the girls and the hubs.  Please forgive my absence....it was not for lack of wanting to write.

Even with all the craziness, I have managed to get in some really good workouts.  I have known for a while now that I needed to incorporate more strength training into my workouts.  The Pilate's is good, but not enough.  Now that I have turned the corner of 35, I have been feeling an even bigger sense of responsibility to myself and the fam.  I have also known for a long time that if I added more strength training to my workouts that I would actually see more results faster, as strength training boosts your metabolism.  There are so many "pros" to weight training, why have I been holding out?  WHY???  It is because I have a fear of bulk.

There, I've said it.  I have a fear of big, bulky muscles.  Not on others (like my hubby's calf muscles...yowza!!), but on me, personally....it gives me the willies just to think about it.  As a kid, I was very active...I played soccer, danced, ran track....and I had some SERIOUS leg muscles as a result.  It meant having to buy bigger jeans to go over my thighs...it meant special ordering my majorette boots to be able to zip them over my calf.  Others were always impressed by the shear definition of my muscles...but to me it was just big.  Big and bulky and that's I think where I really started to feel embarrassment about my body.

So my Feel Good Friday this week is about my getting over the hurdle of fear and getting my strong on!  I have learned so much over the years...things that I wish I knew before... that I feel more confident about starting this new endeavour.  I know that lighter weights at more reps tones and doesn't bulk the muscles (hello MOST important thing to me). 

What are you feeling good about this Friday?

Share your Feel Good Friday on your own page, and make sure you comment here to share with us!