Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reunited and it feels so good

Dear readers,

     I must apologize for my crazy absence since my surgery.  I had pledged to update....fail, I had pledged to modify my workouts...fail.  I admit that I was knocked down a bit more than I thought I would be at the beginning.  I am not the type of person that likes to feel helpless, and that is EXACTLY how I felt the first few days.  I had it in my head that I would not need pain meds, I mean, I didn't take ANY after having a c-section, so why would I now?  Well, my wonderful hubby reminded me of the overwhelming maternal instinct that wanted to protect baby from meds in my milk and that that probably masked a lot of my pain; he also reminded me that I had a piece of bone cut and removed from my foot and a screw put in and that my body was not going to be happy about it.  In my medicated state I agreed (honestly, I agreed even more so after I quit talking the pain meds...I feel impressively by day 3).  The doc is very happy with how everything went though, and now I am fully on the road to recovery!
     I do have to admit, my exercise guilt is not quite as bad as I had worried.  With using my crutches I can see a distinct difference in my arms.  My triceps and biceps have NEVER been so tight and defined (a plus), and with hobbling around with the majority of my weight on my "good leg" that leg is looking alright, and then carrying the weight of the cast on the other seems to have done some work as well.  Don't get me wrong, I would have MUCH rather been running on the treadmill, or hitting the elliptical...but I did do some ab work, and worked up a sweat on a daily basis just moving around the house so I am okay with that.  My weight didn't change at all, and while I have my moments of "oh geez I feel flabby from not working out" on the whole I'm okay with things.  I do wish my recovery was faster, but it hasn't even been 3 weeks yet.  I need to pace myself.
     All of that being said, can I just say how torn I am to be back at work today.  I love my job, have an AMAZING boss, and missed my friends here, but being home all day every day with my kiddos (well the oldest was in school but you know what I mean)...what an unbelievable blessing.  My little one woke up sobbing this morning, "Please dont' go to work Mommy."  Broke my heart, but I know she will have a great day with Daddy and her big sis (newly graduated from 5th grade).  My little one was so great while I was home.  She is such a helper, and she got out her doctors kit everyday and checked my progress.
by far the BEST medical care I have ever received
     So now I work.  Slowly and surely I will get back to where I was, and then I will progress even further.  I am proud of how in shape I had gotten, and how close I was to my 5K...I will get back there again.  I have ti remember to pace myself and work hard, but I know I can do it! 
Post a Comment