Monday, March 12, 2012

Friend Making Monday-Bookworms

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Bookworms (Revisited) 

How often do you read for pleasure?  Every time I read it is for pleasure, with my commute to and from work though I have become a HUGE fan of the audio book.  I have at least 3-4 on my ipod at all times so that I am never without while en route.  It makes getting through books quicker since I can listen as I drive, walk to and from, sit at my desk if it's slow (don't tell).  I do still enjoy sitting on the couch curled up with an actual book though...there is nothing like it.

Are you currently reading a book?  If so, which one? I just started Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

It is a fun and quirky read (er listen).  SO far, it reads a lot like a David Sedaris, and I LOVE David Sedaris...so we shall see.  I don't think it is going to disappoint though.

Do you subscribe to and magazines/or newspapers?  If so, which ones?  I have a subscriptions to Parents magazine, Everyday Food (by Martha Stewart Living), I had a subscription to Self but it expired.  We also get National Geographic, the Smithsonian, Consumer Reports, Wild Animal Baby (for the 2 year old) and the 10 year old just outgrew her Highlights subscription.  We also get our local newspaper.




Do you prefer reading traditional books or using an e-reader?  I don't have an e-reader, but for practicality sake I must admit my audio books are MUCH easier than toting along books and I can use them virtually anywhere and be very discrete about it. :)  I prefer traditional books though. 

How often do you go to the bookstore?  Not often enough.  I love bookstores, although they have become so over commercialized with coffee chains and knick-knacks, I tend to frequent my local library more often.  Plus, the kids like the library.  They can fill a shopping bag with books faster than anything.

Do you read at the gym?  I do when I can.  At the gym, I am usually with someone and then the chatting starts so not as much there I guess.  It also depends on what I am doing.  If I am in need of a serious run, I need my running tunes...If I am on a stationary bike I can usually listen though.

Have you ever been a member of a book club?  Not officially, but I would love it.  My friend Miranda and I do a back and forth of recommendations online and share thoughts. 

Do you wear glasses when you read?  Only if I have already taken out my contacts, or if it's the AM if I haven't put them in.

Has anyone read the Hunger Games?  If so, would you recommend?  Loved, loved, loved the Hunger Games.  The main story is brutal, but it's a wonderfully written trilogy.  I am actually leaning away from seeing the movie because I don't want it to ruin the imagery I have in my head.

What is your favorite thing about reading?  It's an escape, a vacation for a small price.  Now it's also the added bonus of seeing how my children react to stories as well.  We make reading a priority in our house.  I hope that my girls will feel as strongly as I do about books and literature in general.  I am slightly interested in an e-reader, but can't let go of the smell of books.  I just love them!





Post a Comment