Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Food for Thought

     First I must admit that I have been remiss.  For those of you who have come to Waits and Measure(ment)s and follow my posts, I want to thank you.  I realized when I opened my blog today and saw another follower that I had never really welcomed or thanked anyone for taking time from their day to stop in and see what I have posted.  So to all of you welcome and thanks!  You have no idea what it means to mean to know that someone is "listening."
     Now, I admit proudly that my eating habits have changed dramatically since meeting my husband.  I was a bit of a white bread, all American eater when he and I met.  I had specific foods I didn't like (whether they had been tried or not) and was not what you would call a risk taker at all.  He on the other hand is always willing to try new things, new foods...I guess that is why he has always been open-minded about my cooking (hee hee).  Anywho...he has never openly done so, maybe not even knowingly done so, but in my eyes, he has challenged me to expand my palette.  He will try things and make suggestions he he thinks it is something I would like.  Over the years, he has gotten to know my tastes so well that he also knows exactly what I will NOT like (his Dad's homemade octopus soup was one of those "not like" things, especially when it was being served for breakfast).  For some my list of new foods may have been common place, every day foods...but for me, some were HUGE undertakings.  Some of the foods that I now adore were things that I had just never had the opportunity to experience, there wasn't any kind of bias...just never had an occasion to try guacamole as a kid, not it's one of my all time favs! 
     With all this being said, I have to say that my two most recent "trys" were huge successes.  The first being Greek yogurt.  Now, to preface this I have to say I know the health benefits of cottage cheese, and have tried cottage cheese SO many times it's painful to recall...that is one thing that I still can't take.  I mention this because for some reason when people started talking about Greek yogurt I had this recurring vision of cottage cheese.  This in a completely logical frame of mind makes no sense since somewhere in the back of my head I knew it was the base for the sauce on my beloved gyro.  Anyways, with all the health benefits being spouted off about it, I thought it worth a try.  SO HAPPY I DID IT!  There are some days when I have two servings.  I love it!  A little Greek yogurt with a dash of granola in it has quickly become one of my go to fav snacks!
     The next new food I tried I am REALLY proud of.  In general, despite much trying, I am not much of a fish person.  My hubs has made good tilapia, and I have enjoyed that on occasion.  I like some crab, tuna, calamari, and gold fish crackers :)...but my overall seafood experiences have been pretty tame.  In reading about healthy foods, when it comes to seafood I know that Salmon is pretty much right up on top.  It's something I have always wanted to try, but knowing my tastes my hubby has been hesitant to make because he said it's one of the "fishier fish."  Well, we went to dinner at a friends house last week.  Imagine my panic when the only dinner option was crab stuffed salmon!  OMG!  Are you kidding me!  I just tried to play it off, no worries.  I can do this.  I can try a little bit and fill myself on appetizers and salad.  Our friends had just recently bought this new fangled radiant oven and he had cooked the fish in there.  After a quick taste test, my sweet hubby said he thought I would do okay.  I can't even begin to describe how wonderful my meal was!  I loved it.  I had a nice sized portion of salmon and ate it all down, no problems at all!  I actually almost wished I could have had seconds it was so good, but as they too are watching their figures, they had bought enough and coked enough for just the right portions!  I am looking forward to my next salmon dinner. 
     This was a big step for me.  I can honestly say that I feel like I have turned over a new leaf in the food department.  Just another step closer to the new and improved healthier me!  What are some of the food fears you have overcome in the name of good health?
Post a Comment