Friday, January 6, 2012

What's cookin'?!?!

     My husband is a fabulous cook.  Always has been...and he seems to get better with each passing day.  He enjoys cooking, and you can taste that in the food he makes.  I've always dreamt of being a good cook.  Don't get me wrong, I make a few things well...meatloaf, stuffed peppers, and thanks to my BFF Jamie a pretty good tortellini soup, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not going to be on Chopped anytime soon.  What I used to pride myself on was my baking.  I made my oldest daughters birthday cakes when she was little until she outgrew her egg allergy, and let me tell you, finding a way to get cake batter to bind and hold form without using eggs can be tricky, but is not impossible.  I would take the time to make and hand roll my pie crusts, store bought was NOT an option, and the thought of BUYING cookies or cupcakes for my daughter to take to school was unheard of.  Then we got a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and my life as a baker seemed to come to a screeching halt.
     It's beautiful isn't it?  Clean, shiny, bright and it's reputation speaks for itself.  Kitchen Aid is what you want for the home baker.  When I unwrapped this generous gift from my parents I was ecstatic.  One of the best wedding presents ever!  I guess my sweet husband thought so too because not long after he found an amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe and that was it.  No more Mommy baking goodies for the fam, it was all about "Daddy cookies"!
     I love Daddy cookies.  I am slightly addicted to Daddy cookies.  But I have decided that after having made them (successfully according to my husband) that I need to reclaim my rightful place in the kitchen as well.  I enjoy baking.  I love the methodically planned out system to it.  I love measuring all my ingredients and having a "process" to get to my end result.  I by NO means want to dissuade my husband from baking.  I want to share in the joy with him.  I want to feel a sense of "mom-complishment" when the girls and their friends eat something that I have made for them to enjoy.  I want to do it in a way that is yummy and healthy, well, not all the time...sometimes kids just need traditional yummy treats.  But, this is something I plan to add to my list this year.  Let the baking commence!
Post a Comment