Thursday, January 19, 2012

Double whammy


     So last night after a lot of random running around, Arden and I made our way home.  She was SO hungry that we barely got settled in when she started asking for a snack.  Two cheese sticks and an orange later-she was full, but I was starting to get very hungry.  Generally my husband is the cook in our house and I am the clean up crew, but since he had to work late, and I have this new found need to challenge myself, I went to the pantry in search of something to create for us.  I felt like Old Mother Hubbard though, as we need to get to the grocery store, so I opened the fridge.  There were a few possible ingredients (eggs, milk) but I wanted to dazzle my hubby with my creativity.  SO I continued my search and found potatoes and onions...I had a collective arsenal of staples, but what could I do with it...especially in our new calorie conscious way of life.  There was only one thing to do...GOOGLE!
     I sat at the computer and googled potatoes, eggs, onions and was  surprised at the variety of things I could attempt.  There was one that caught my eye because ion the heading it was labeled "low cal."  I opened it up and read the ingredients...eggs (check), milk (check), salt and pepper (check and check), onions (check), garlic (check), and my own addition confidence that I could make this work (check)!  So after a great morning workout...I continues on with another resolution (well, not baking but in the kitchen nonetheless.
     I made a Tortilla Espanola.  It was actually much easier than I thought it would be and was low in calories.  I changed the yield to 4 servings and my husband and I each had 2 servings and were nice and full after dinner.  I recommend this one for something quick and easy (it can also be used as a tapas as it is in Spain).
 Ingredients for Tortilla Espanola
  • 3 russet potatoes (peeled and cut into slices)
  • 1 TBS milk (for fluffiness)
  • 1/3 cup of olive oil (I used less)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 white or Spanish onion (sliced)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
Directions
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add potato slices, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until smooth.

3. Once the potato mixture is sauteed and is tender, remove from heat and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

4. Place skillet back on medium heat and slowly add egg mixture.  Once it is cooked (check with fork), flip the tortilla over to cook the top side.

5. Slide the tortilla onto a serving plate and allow to cool to room temperature.

Here is mine during the cooking process

Once it has cooled, plate and serve.  I add some orange wedges to our dinner (since we both were on a workout day) and a small teaspoon of red pepper relish for a little added heat.  My hubby also added a little Tabasco, as he has been adding to everything of late to rev his metabolism.

The final product

     I am happy to say that my adventure in cooking was a success and has had me online throughout the day searching out more great (low cal) recipes to try.  I was still on such a high this morning that I went back to the gym and did another round of elliptical training.  I am feeling pretty good about these resolutions so far!     
Post a Comment